Last updated: November 10, 2022
This year, the annual province-wide earthquake drill, ‘Great British Columbia ShakeOut’, takes place at 10:20 a.m. on October 20, 2022. During this drill, UBC will be testing its emergency notification system, UBC Alert—students, faculty and staff will receive a test notification by text and voice message. The test will also run on our campus-wide digital signage systems.
In addition to the Shakeout drill, two earthquake public-information events will be happening on the UBC Vancouver campus
- 11:30-1:30 pm – Tour UBC’s Earthquake Engineering Research Facility: The Earthquake Engineering Research Facility (EERF) will open its doors for a “shake table” demonstration.
- 7:00 pm – Attend the SAN ANDREAS movie screening: Natural Resources Canada Seismologist, Alison Bird will provide live scientific commentary during the screening of the Hollywood movie SAN ANDREAS on October 20, at 7:00 p.m. at the Forest Sciences Centre, Room 1005.
For questions regarding the use of this communications toolkit, please contact:
Yvonne Kwok, Communications Manager, Facilities and Safety & Risk Services
For more information on ShakeOutBC, please visit ready.ubc.ca/shakeout
This communications toolkit is prepared for each department/unit to use when sharing this messaging across campus. You can find and download content here that suits your channels and audience needs. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us anytime.
- Key Messages: For speaking points during in-person meetings.
- Newsletter/email copy: Recommended copy to reach your team members.
- Social media copy: Sample posts and graphics for Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc. Encourage everyone to share their best photos of Drop, Cover, and Hold on!
- Asset: Different size graphics for newsletters, web, social media, etc.
- Digital signage: Uploaded to campus-wide network. File name: 2022 10 20 – Shake Out – CC
- Key contact: Who to reach out to on our team if you have any questions.
Get Ready to ShakeOut and learn about earthquakes with Seismologist, Alison Bird
On October 20, 2022, practice how to DROP, COVER and HOLD ON at 10:20 a.m. during the annual Great BC ShakeOut. Tour UBC’s Earthquake Engineering Research Facility and attend the SAN ANDREAS movie screening complete with live, scientific commentary from Natural Resources Canada Seismologist, Alison Bird. All events are free and open to the public.
As part of ShakeOut, UBC will be testing its emergency notification system, UBC Alert. Students, faculty and staff will receive a test notification by text and voice message on October 20, 2022. The test will also run on our campus-wide digital signage systems.
ATTEND AN EARTHQUAKE EVENT AT UBC
- “Shake Tables” at UBC’s Earthquake Engineering Research Facility (EERF)
- Attend the SAN ANDREAS movie screening with Seismologist Alison Bird
Learn more: ready.ubc.ca/shakeout